Position Title: Senior Technical Officer EpiC
Meeting Targets and Maintaining Epidemic Control (EpiC) is a five-year global project funded by the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) and the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID). EpiC is dedicated to achieving and maintaining HIV epidemic control and the project provides strategic technical assistance (TA) and direct service delivery (DSD) to break through barriers to 95-95-95 and promote self-reliant management of national HIV programs by improving HIV case-finding, prevention, and treatment programming. FHI 360 through EpiC is launching a new project in Zimbabwe to support institutionalization of Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision (VMMC) into the country’s results-based financing (RBF) program and strengthening capacity of two local partners on community level monitoring of the quality of VMMC and Integrated Biomedical Prevention services.
The Senior Technical Officer (STO) will work under the direction of the EpiC Zimbabwe Project Director to support technical design, and implementation as well as management of the activity. S/he will help design, plan and implement a pilot for providing results-based financing for VMMC services using USAID funding. This will include working with key stakeholders to develop a program implementation manual for VMMC RBF, establishing tools and procedures to implement VMMC RBF, developing and implementing a strategy for integrating VMMC RBF into the national RBF program (including a learning agenda), negotiating agreements with government and CBO partners, analyzing data and making technical reports on progress and lessons, and assessing capacity strengthening needs , developing improvement plans, and helping source and deliver technical assistance to ensure smooth implementation of RBF for VMMC. The Senior Technical Officer will identify ways to incorporate innovative strategies to implement the RBF pilot, engage stakeholders and strengthen capacity, particularly to employ remote methods for engagement, mentoring and training as needed to adapt to the COVID-19 pandemic and associated restrictions. The STO will work closely with the Ministry of Health and Child Care (MOHCC), USAID-funded implementing partners, and other development partner programs as required. In addition, the STO will provide technical support and oversight to subawardees of the EpiC program in country to ensure compliance with subaward terms and conditions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical guidance to the implementation of the program description, implementation plan, program strategies, program reports and work plan for the EpiC Zimbabwe project.
- Coordinate closely with other FHI 360 projects in the country, with international and national NGOs and other VMMC implementing partners to develop and implement a USAID-funded VMMC RBF pilot in the country.
- Contribute to and help manage a learning agenda and associated learning activities related to implementation of RBF activities in country.
- Engage in South-to-South learning and collaborate/build upon country and regional initiatives, as applicable.
- Ensure compliance with organizational procedures and standards.
- Provide technical expertise in RBF, stakeholder engagement and capacity strengthening.
- Help implement capacity strengthening in results-based financing (RBF) and contribute to national policy development and onward implementation of new policies.
- Support subaward monitoring and technical support to subawardees of the EpiC program in country.
- Contribute to production of timely and accurate technical reports to FHI 360,USAID, and other project stakeholders as required.
- Contribute to the achievement of high-quality results in accordance with the targets identified in the work plan.
- Keep abreast of developments in larger RBF, VMMC, capacity strengthening, and HIV/AIDS fields; document project methodologies, results, and outcomes, and in collaboration with EpiC HQ develop abstracts and publication.
- Contribute to program quality according to FHI 360 standards including quality assurance and quality improvement initiatives.
Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrated ability through previous experience leading a technical activity through evidence and data driven decision making.
- Demonstrated experience with a mix of practical technical skills in RBF, capacity strengthening, VMMC and other HIV prevention interventions necessary for strengthening VMMC program management and implementation.
- Demonstrated ability through previous experience to establish and maintain productive working relationships with a wide network of partners and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability through previous experience to liaise with senior government officials, dignitaries, executives of NGOs, FBOs, CBOs, and the for-profit business community, and senior members of the donor community.
- Excellent interpersonal, writing and oral presentation skills in English.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Public Health, Economics, Health Financing, Health Administration, Management, or Business Administration with a focus on public health, social sciences, or related field with 5 years’ experience or:
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Health, Economics, Health Administration, Management, or Business Administration with a focus on public health, social sciences, or related field with 7 years’ experience.
- Progressive increasing responsibility in designing, implementing, managing and leading development programs involving multiple partners, stakeholders, and geographic target areas in a developing country; preference for experience managing USAID and PEPFAR-funded programs.
- At least five years of experience working on health programs in Zimbabwe.
- At least three years of successful experience implementing health financing programming.
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Deadline: 22 December 2020