The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The Supply Chain Officer reports to the Head of Logistics or the designate and is under the functional supervision of the Country Director. Receiving guidance and regular feedback on work performed which is essential to facilitate learning self-development and possible assumption of expanded responsibilities, job holders at this grade level are typically “contributors” and work closely with a more experienced professional staff member. They carry out analytical work and come up with recommendations on supply chain related matters.
- To provide analytics and contributions to the supply chain activities or/and contribute to field supply chain operations, following an effective and integrated supply chain approach meeting the food assistance needs of beneficiaries and service provision requirements for partners.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Contribute to planning and implementation of the supply chain operations, initiatives and services to ensure a timely, cost-effective and integrated approach and in close cooperation with key supply chain stakeholders.
- Coordinate logistics operations including all logistics assets in order to ensure timely and cost-effective delivery of WFP cargoes.
- Coordinate and provide logistics support to on-going operations in the country
- Provide specialized and technical support to logistics operations and activities at the warehouse, following standard processes and contributing, directly or indirectly, to the effective delivery of food assistance to the people assisted.
- Ensure good warehouse inventory management, timely addressing any existing and developing issues with regards to proper stocks management and standard procedures for commodity handling and storage.
- Oversee safeguarding of food commodities and nonfood items through providing guidance on and taking initiative towards implementation of preventive measures, to ensure that commodities/ nonfood items are kept in good condition and that quality control actions are initiated as appropriate following WFP established procedures.
- Ensuring that internal control systems are functioning and that all relevant records are maintained, performing regular checks on the condition of the commodities and ensure FIFO / FEFO principles are applied
- Performing necessary action in the WFP system in line with WFP Requirements.
- Coordinate with stakeholders and partners of logistics service provision to ensure proper WFP standards and procedures on receiving, storage and handling of food commodities, ensuring adequate storage facilities are available as per contract.
Key Accountabilities Cont:
- Timely submission of stock reports to the partners and any partners’ feedback and challenges addressed to improve on the effectiveness and efficiency of deliveries.
- Perform audits and quarterly physical stock verification with service provision partners.
- Allocate transporters for all dispatch plans based on the approved loads allocations and ensure trucks are mobilized for loading on time.
- Support gathering market intelligence, vendor assessments (e.g. transporters, retailers) to support vendor selection process.
- Supervising and leading staff to develop a talented team through trainings, coaching and any other available opportunities to help improve staff skills and capabilities.
- Help identify, mobilise resources, implement and report on special logistics operations
- Ensure the integrity of transport and warehousing management, including commodity tracking in WFP standard systems
- Ensure that accurate and complete accounting, reporting and internal control systems are functioning and that all relevant records are maintained
- Ensure adequate logistics preparedness through contingency planning and continuous logistics preparedness reviews
- Ensure that all staff are adequately trained, and identify any additional training needs to achieve high working standards
- Perform other related duties as assigned
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Advanced University degree preferably in Supply Chain Management, Engineering, Economics, Business Administration, Logistics, or other related field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
- Fluency (level C) in English language and Shona/ Ndebele.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Warehouse management, Supply chain planning, people management skills, coordination and leadership skills in a supply chain setup
- 6 years WFP/UN Supply Chain/Logistics Experience
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Supply Chain Strategy||Demonstrates understanding of supply chain strategies and corporate frameworks. Supports analytical and conceptual work on supply chain strategy and implementation.|
|Supply Chain & Networks Management||Demonstrates robust understanding of end-to-end supply chain management. Supports the design and implementation of supply chain, retail and partnership networks.
Supports the design and integrated delivery of supply chain services.
|Supply Chain Capacity Strengthening||Demonstrates robust understanding of supply chain capacity strengthening in operational contexts. Implements capacity development initiatives in own area of responsibility.|
|Supply Chain Performance & Development||Supports integrated supply chain information management and conducts advanced Supply Chain and performance analytics. Contributes to supply chain improvement and innovation initiatives.|
|Supply Chain Planning||Demonstrates robust understanding of supply chain planning in operational contexts. Designs plans and operational scenarios in collaboration with key internal and external stakeholders. Leverages expert intelligence and system data to conduct planning analytics.|
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Experience in analysing operational context and trends;
- Experience in supporting analytical and conceptual work on supply chain strategy and implementation;
- Experience in designing plans and operational scenarios in collaboration with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience in analysing end-to-end supply chain operations;
- Experience working with supply chain information systems;
- Experience in troubleshooting and solving operational issues.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Qualified candidates are requested to submit their application via E- Recruitment attaching a signed application letter and a signed Personal History Form (P11) available at http://www.unon.org/docs/P11.doc. Applicants are also requested to submit a Curriculum Vitae.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the recruitment processes.
WFP DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING)
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Applicants are requested to submit their applications on or before the closing date of 14 April 2020
Female applicants who are qualified and experienced for this post are especially encouraged to apply