The Biomedical Research and Training Institute seeks to promote the health and quality of life of the people of Africa through research and training in the field of biomedicine. The institute emphasizes the need to establish and maintain the highest levels of quality, professionalism, ethical standards and efficiency in its activities. We’re building an open source technology platform to support neonatal teams in low resource hospitals to address neonatal mortality. The platform consists of a number of different components: An Android application in which health care workers can conveniently record infants being admitted, any data associated with their treatment and their discharge. This supports reliable data capture, so that healthcare workers, hospitals and governments have better data to understand how many babies are born, what conditions arise and what are their outcomes provides clinical diagnostic and management algorithm support, a set of dashboards for surfacing the data back to the hospital, empowering health care workers, clinicians and administrators to better understand what is going on in the clinic and make better decisions and integrations with other health care systems e.g. electronic health care records.
The System Developer will be expected to analyze, design, develop, debug, document, install and maintain the NeoTree application and include additional microservices so that it integrates effectively with the Zimbabwe Electronic Health Record system. The emphasis is on building ICT systems that enhance effectiveness and efficiency of health service delivery. The ideal candidate should be able to work with different technologies and be innovative in problem solving. We’re looking for an experienced full stack developer to work with us until October 2021 (1 year with extension) and be based in Harare, Zimbabwe to assist with the development of the platform.
The position involves working with the broader NeoTree development team, based in Cape Town, to develop the platform, with a particular focus on the backend including API. The position is expected to work closely with the team in Zimbabwe developing and rolling out the Electronic Health Record (EHR), to build a two way integration between the NeoTree platform and the EHR. This will include working with the stakeholders at the EHR and NeoTree to specify the workflows the integration will support, working with the stakeholders at the NeoTree to build the integration, analyze and translate business requirements into functional and non-functional system requirements, participate in system design, interface and programming with other team members. According to requirements, develop, modify and test code as well as analyze, correct and document errors as reported, develop, enhance and maintain new and existing enterprise applications and microservices, write system test scripts and fix software defects when required, write test plans and user acceptance testing cases for quality assurance. The post requires you to improve the performance of applications via load and stress testing, participate in user requirements research and usability testing to help improve the user experience. The System developer will also coordinate and perform system installation and monitor system operation to ensure specifications are met, compose and contribute to technical documentation, program documentation including flow charts, file structure, input/output documents, program narratives, etc. The System Developer will have to ensure the security and integrity of all systems and data, Identify opportunities that can improve efficiency of business process and also assist in the development and implementation of eHealth and ICT policies, strategies, plans and procedures in line with MoHCC’s policies, strategic goals, and plans.
Personal characteristics required
- Ability to work well within a remote team, work well in isolation without supervision (due to the remote nature of the team).
- Have excellent communication skills (English) and able to communicate with all levels of management.
- Good problem solvers – able to come up with creative solutions to issues that emerge and have passion for the project
- Relevant degree in computer science, information systems or any appropriate discipline with Three (3) years’ experience in system development.
- Technical experience in development and maintenance of enterprise software, applications systems, databases, web development, user training and support.
- Experience and/or knowledge of health systems and health systems strengthening is an added advantage.
- Knowledge and experience in use of open source software and experience in using different development frameworks such as spring mvc, hibernate, struts, JQuery.
- Knowledge and experience in developing in a range of technologies such as Java, node.js, PHP, Python, Android, PostgreSQL (or similar SQL database technologies), Rabbit MQ (or similar message bus technology).
- Knowledge of the theory, principles and practices of systems and applications development including functions and capabilities of computer operating systems and software programming applications.
- Knowledge of computer security procedures.
To apply for this position please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com or
The Office Manager
10 Seagrave Road,
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 24 April 2020