The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates Inc. is seeking qualified Malaria Specialists for the position of Technical Director/Malaria Specialist for an US Government funded malaria project in Zimbabwe. The remaining 3-years project will work to continue strengthening the capacity of the National Malaria Control Programme (NMCP) at national, provincial, district, and/or community levels, related to case management and malaria in pregnancy, national policies, mosquito nets, social behavior change communication, surveillance/M&E and operation research .
Under the supervision of the Chief of Party, the Technical Director will be responsible for technical oversight of malaria treatment and prevention activities. He/she will work in close collaboration with NMCP and Ministry of Health and Child Care (MoHCC) counterparts to support a range of activities essential to malaria prevention and treatment in Zimbabwe. This position is based in Zimbabwe and is contingent upon successful award of the contract to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Contribute to the strategy for and oversee the implementation of the project’s malaria prevention and treatment activities including LLIN distribution, facility and community case management activities, prevention of malaria during pregnancy, and SBCC interventions
- Provide general technical support to the NMCP in malaria control strategic interventions: case management and malaria in pregnancy, national policies, mosquito nets, social behavior change communication, surveillance/M&E and research. This support includes developing tools, participating in technical working groups, and providing technical leadership
- Support direct reports to implement training programs for the public and private sector in quality malaria case management and IPTp and other malaria control strategic interventions
- Collaborate with NMCP, PMD and DMO staff to strengthen quality improvement and supervision systems for malaria control interventions
- Promote the use of indicators to monitor compliance with case management standards
- Oversee supportive supervision of trained facility and community health workers
- Lead and contribute to work plan development and project reporting
- Work with M&E Officer to monitor and evaluate the progress and impact of activities and guide operational research studies
- Document project results and impacts in various forms, including media stories, lessons learned, case studies, etc.
- Lead and supervise direct reports with particular focus on their key tasks and the quality of project deliverables.
- Other duties as assigned
- Master’s Degree
- Strong background in malaria epidemiology preferred
- At least 10 years of experience implementing malaria programs in developing countries
- Ability to independently plan and execute complex tasks while addressing daily management details and remaining organized and focused on long-term deadlines and strategy
- Possess outstanding professional reputation and have strong demonstrated interpersonal, written, and oral presentation skills
- Willingness to travel within the country as needed
- Oral and written English language required, additional knowledge of recognized local languages preferred
- Zimbabwean professionals are encouraged to apply
- (8+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.
Apply by: 12 June 2020
Related Jobs (26)
Production of a Transitional Justice Monitoring Report on September 18, 2020 Consultancy