Contract duration: 9 months
Location: One (1) position Chipinge and one(1) Chimanimani (operating from Chipinge)
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises, assisting people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. Today IRC works in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, restoring safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC began programming in Zimbabwe in 2008 to support the cholera emergency response and has since been a key player in health, governance, markets development, and disaster risk reduction.
The International Rescue Committee (IRC), in anticipation of funding, is recruiting for Environmental Health/WASH-Hygiene Promotion Officers for an emergency COVID – 19 response program which will run for 9 months in Beitbridge, Chipinge, Chimanimani and Chipinge Districts. The EH/WASH Hygiene Promotion Officers will be responsible for day-to-day management COVID – 19 prevention activities related to hygiene promotion in collaboration with district stakeholders from the Ministry of Health and Child Care, the District Civil Protection Committee (DCPC) and the District Water and Sanitation Sub – Committee (DWSSC) amongst other stakeholders. S/he will work with volunteers involved in direct implementation of IRC’s COVID – 19 Response activities including local and traditional leadership, Village Health Workers (VHWs) and DRR committees. S/he is overall responsible for ensuring that approved infection prevention and control (IPC) and personal protection approaches are adhered to, maintaining program quality and that all hygiene objectives are met on time and within the budget. When requested, s/he will undertake capacity building of team members, including district stakeholders and community volunteers.
Awareness Raising on the COVID 19:
- Design and agree appropriate messaging and approaches to raise awareness on COVID 19 including key information about the disease and recommended preventive measures;
- Set up structures for awareness raising district wide and agree on an appropriate work plan to support these community structures;
- Raise awareness on other issues of concern that may spike as a result of the COVID 19 pandemics with particular concern on Gender Based Violence (GBV).
Support the Ministry of Health and Child Welfare for the COVID 19 response:
- Agree on monthly support needs with the respective District Medical Officers (DMOs) for the COVID 19 response in each district and submit detailed requests for this support to the EH Coordinator;
- In collaboration with the respective DMO, populate a comprehensive list of Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) and materials for Infection Prevention Control (IPC) required by each district periodically as required.
Clients’ safety from COVID 19-
- Design and implement appropriate infection prevention and control (IPC) measures in target communities including public areas like water points, dip tanks, markets and shopping counterwork with MOHCC personnel to set up appropriate measures at community level as necessary to enhance the safety of clients.
Coordination at national and subnational levels:
- Ensure that the IRC is represented at all COVID 19 coordination forums at district level;
- Facilitate that key stakeholders from the Ministry of Health and Child Care and the District Civil Protection Committee attend COVID 19 coordination forums at provincial and national levels as required;
- Compile and provide all requisite information about the COVID 19 response related to the district of operation.
- Any other duties, as assigned by the EH Coordinator, to enable and develop IRC programs.
- Minimum 2 years professional technical experience in Hygiene Promotion;
- Additional professional experience or qualifications in social work, nursing, public health, or a similar field a plus;
- Excellent understanding of WASH issues in humanitarian response settings and knowledge of Sphere standards;
- Solid managerial, communication, and multi-tasking skills;
- Strong project planning, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills;
- Proficient in Windows and MS office programs, as well as email; Interpersonal qualities;
- Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multicultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure in a professional manner;
- Fluent in spoken and written English;
- Additional local language skills are a plus.
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible by submitting CVs and cover letters stating the position in the email subject line to Zimbabwe@Rescue.org.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability. The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and implements policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Deadline: 20 November 2020