Reports To: WASH Coordinator/WASH Deputy/Head of Project
Emergency Preparedness to Cholera and Response to COVID–19 through (WASH) interventions in Chegutu, Harare, Epworth and Chimanimani
Welthungerhilfe (www.welthungerhilfe.de) is one of the largest and respected private organisations in the field of development cooperation and humanitarian aid in Germany. We carry out projects in 39 countries and campaigns for fairer cooperation within developing countries. Primarily in cooperation with local partner organisations, our task is to contribute to the improvement in nutritional and income base for the low-income populations in Africa, Asia and Latin America. Welthungerhilfe has been implementing projects in Zimbabwe since 1980. Sector focus is on Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Food and Nutrition Security, Livelihoods and when necessary, Emergency response.
The WASH Officer/WASH Engineer/Technician supports the implementation and coordination of all field related activities of the WASH programs, cooperates with relevant stakeholders to develop and implement the programs and projects and further develop the concept of Welthungerhilf’s intervention in the country.
The WASH Officer/WASH Engineer/Technician will be expected to:
- Monitor the area’s operational activities and provide feed-back to the Management;
- Follow-up on the project/program area monitoring system in close cooperation with the monitoring team;
- Regularly monitor the execution of field related activities and results, provide feed-back to the Management;
- Compile and document relevant information for collaborative activities and missions;
- Design, implement and document meetings, workshops, seminars, trainings and other events related to the program’s/project’s field of activities;
- Support short-term consultants and experts of the project/program to fulfil their tasks during their assignment;
- Provide technical advice to Management, support teams and counterparts;
- Keep management informed about topics and developments related to the project’s/program’s activities (e.g. through evaluation of the press, direct dialog, forum participation, public hearings, seminars);
- Develop and organize quality assurance;
- Participate in identifying needs for external support and advice;
- Propose new initiatives/ improvements, make policy and strategic recommendations;
- Monitor the project progress and provide feed-back to Management with the support of and in close cooperation with the monitoring Team;
- Coordinate the planning of project/program activities within the defined area;
- Develop project designs, including the preparation, organization and moderation of planning exercises;
- Formulate project action plans and synchronize between the planning and budgeting system;
- Develop technical concepts, guidelines, manuals, and procedures, which are ready to be applied;
- Prepare inputs to project/program reports and publications for all required reports;
- Support research and study activities;
- Develop and maintain contacts with all relevant stakeholders;
- Cooperate with government institutions, non-government organizations, and the local community;
- Represent the project/program;
- Act as liaison to and cooperate with other Welthungerhilfe projects/programs in the region;
- Collect,circulate relevant information and broadcast project experiences;
- Report all security relevant issues and information to the Security Officers and Management.
The WASH Project Officer/Technician /Engineer must have:
- An Undergraduate Degree in Civil/Water/Agriculture/
Irrigation Engineering/ Public health/ Environmental Science/ Hydrology/ Development Studies/ Health Promotion/ Social sciences or related field.
The candidate should demonstrate;
- Knowledge of Public Health engineering and Water Point Technical Assessments;
- Knowledge on rehabilitation of water points, training of communities on water point management and participatory health and hygiene promotion and one or more other relevant areas (e.g. Health Promotion, Community Development, Education, Community Water Supply Systems, Sanitation Systems);
- At least 1 year of practical experience in developing countries in appropriate Community Water, Sanitation, Health And Hygiene Programmes;
- Experience and understanding of community mobilization in relation to water and sanitation activities;
- Understanding of international health and development and relief issues and national WASH issues;
- Sensitivity to the needs and priorities of disadvantaged populations;
- Demonstrated experience of integrating gender and diversity issues into public health programmes;
- Assessment, analytical and planning skills;
- Diplomacy, tact and negotiating skills;
- Training/counterpart Development skills;
- People Management skills;
- Ability to work well under pressure and in response to changing needs;
- Ability to travel at short notice and to work in difficult circumstances;
- Good communication skills and ability to work well in a team;
- Proficiency in the use of MS Office and modern telecommunication systems.
NB: A good understanding of COVID-19 Prevention and control measures and also related public health measures to prevent Fecal-Oral Transmitted diseases will be mandatory.
To apply for this position please send your CV and cover letter to: recruitment.zimbabwe@
Welthungerhilfe is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Welthungerhilfe does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 27 APRIL 2020
Related Jobs (22)
Production of a Transitional Justice Monitoring Report on September 18, 2020 Consultancy
Mobile Money Marketing and Operations Manager ( Telecommunications) on September 18, 2020 Full Time