Duty Station: Gokwe North District
ADRA is implementing various projects through-out the country and seeks to recruit for the above position.
The Adventist Development and Relief Agency (ADRA) Zimbabwe is a local humanitarian NGO of the Seventh-day Adventist Church working in Zimbabwe for over 40 years. It is part of the network within over 130 countries in the world. ADRA Zimbabwe believes that: through its humanitarian acts, we make known the just, merciful, and loving character of God; Non-discrimination and respect for differences, accepting people as equals, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, political and religious affiliation enrich the communities in which we work and are assets to be respected and affirmed.
Gokwe North Food Security and Agricultural Response 2 (Go-FAR 2)project proposes to address the food insecurity and WASH needs in Gokwe North through Agriculture/Food Security; Economic Recovery and Market Systems; and Water Sanitation & Health activities that are focused on securing a safe water supply for target communities and hygiene promotion/training for affected communities.
The position supports the Project Manager/ Project Coordinator in managing all WASH systems engineering activities, ensure efficient processes, maximise productivity by overseeing water infrastructure needs assessment, surveying and site data collection, design (including hydraulic design), BOQs, preparation of site layouts, detailed sketches/drawings for the rehabilitation of water infrastructure and their implementation in Gokwe North.
S/he will be responsible for
- General analysis of the state of existing infrastructures as targeted by the project and review of the standards in place;
- Technical analysis of the sustainability of the infrastructure targeted by the project;
- Preparation of design drawings and sketches suitable for use in the locality;
- Detailed cost estimate for the realization of the works in the form of a BOQ based on current market prices;
- Proposal of a list of local materials (accessible to the target communities of the project) and labour that can be used during construction;
- Work with the Logistics Department to ensure the selection of WASH materials, and equipment with suitable technical specifications and assuring quality;
- Develop, negotiate and supervise contracts with service providers (including preparation of tender documentations and evaluating capacity and quality of the contractors);
- Elaboration of a detailed operation and maintenance plan including costs, with a calculation of the useful life and estimated future replacement cost of key components. The plans must be simple and concise, suitable for use by community members/Water User Committees;
- Ensure WASH program integration with other existing projects in Gokwe North and other sectors throughout the planning, design and implementation stages to create synergy effects.
Competencies and Experience
- University degree in one of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Civil, Construction, Mechanical Engineering, Hydrology, or related science field;
- S/He must have demonstrable experience on rehabilitation of water and sanitation infrastructures;
- Excellent knowledge of national and international norms and standards for water infrastructure;
- Excellent knowledge of the project’s target regions (Gokwe North) would be an added advantage;
- Experience in development projects targeting community water supply;
- Experience in working on Bill of Quantities and design for water and sanitation facilities in particular in solar powered boreholes in remote areas;
- Additional training in Health Education or Communication for Development (Programme Communication), would be an added advantage;
- Minimum of three years of progressively responsible professional work experience in the Development/ NGO sector and understanding of USAID or other international donor agency requirements;
- Excellent computer skills in MS Word, Excel, ArcGIS, AutoCAD, ArchiCAD;
- Fluency in English and local working language of the duty station;
- High level people skills, ability to build relationships with ability to identify, communicate with stakeholders on the field and office(s);
- Clean Class 3/4 Driving Licence would be an added advantage.
Candidates meeting the above criteria are invited to submit their applications together with a detailed CV (including Skype address) that includes the names and email addresses of 3 traceable references.
Applications should be clearly marked with the position being applied for, e.g. “WASH PROJECT ENGINEER” in the email Subject line. Applications should be directed to email@example.com
WOMEN CANDIDATES ARE ESPECIALLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
ADRA Zimbabwe is a Child friendly organisation, and it will be assumed that all applicants consent to relevant checks to determine suitability working in such environments
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 25 June 2020 (5pm)