This position will be responsible for managing all aspects of the workshop at Marongora currently under renovation. The successful candidate will ensure that renovations meet the appropriate requirements for the workshop, establish and maintain a store with adequate basic supplies; service and maintain vehicle schedules, and other equipment, repair the vehicles and equipment for the Parks and Wildlife Management Authority (PWMA) located in the Zambezi Valley.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage, organize and control an efficient vehicle workshop at Marongora in Mid- Zambezi valley. The focus will be on maintaining Toyota land cruisers but includes other vehicles and equipment.
- Develop and manage a maintenance and service program for all PWMA vehicles and equipment in the Zambezi Valley as provided by PWMA Cluster manager. This involves monitoring the performance of vehicles and equipment; ensure repairs are undertaken in a timely manner to prevent failure or further damages.
- Monitor ongoing work in the workshop and inspect completed work to ensure the required standards are achieved.
- Install, maintain or repair of major vehicles or equipment, as well as leading the team of Technicians assigned to the task.
- Provide a mechanical advisory service to other sate light workshops within Mid Zambezi Cluster landscape.
- Develop and manage a spare parts store, oils and lubricants and other necessary items to reduce time spent waiting for spares to be ordered and delivered from Harare or other centers.
- Manage unscheduled work resulting from breakdown and emergencies, making sure they are dealt with in an efficient manner by prioritizing as required for the provision of a 24-hour callout service.
- Create and maintain a register of all workshop equipment and Consumables. Maintain workshop equipment to the highest possible standard. (Including washing bay and parking shed)
- Manage the administration of the vehicle workshop. Ensure all logbooks and station records are effectively maintained to enable stock control, ordering of parts and all other workshop functions operate efficiently.
- Produce monthly and annual transport statistics and reports, review performance and recommend procedural enhancements for discussion with the Cluster manager or senior area managers.
- Work with the Senior Area Manager and Technical Advisor to develop an environmental strategy for the workshop, to include waste management, recycling and reuse of oils.
- Work within the workshop on a regular basis, to retain/update mechanical skills & knowledge. Be prepared to step in and assist Mechanical Technicians in times of emergencies & undertake on the job training with Mechanical Technicians should it be required.
- Ensure effective fuel storage and distribution per agreed protocols
- Develop and implement standard workshop health and safety precautionary guidelines to be observed and adopted at the workshop.
- Perform any other relevant duties as requested by supervisor.
- At least, 5 years in-depth post qualification experience in vehicle maintenance and workshop management and practice
- Successfully completed a 4 year apprenticeship leading to a full National certificate or National diploma under City & Guilds or Hexco
- Proven experience working on Toyota Landcruisers diesel vehicles
- Technician qualification in motor mechanics, majoring in auto-electronics is an added advantage
- Holder of a class 2 or 4 driving License, capable of assessing other drivers
- Demonstrated experience in managing staff
- Ability to train others
- Good spoken and written communication skills
- Honest, hardworking and able to work under pressure with minimum supervision
- Computer literacy and comfort with Microsoft Office- MS word and Excel
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- Able to speak Shona is an advantage
- Demonstrate good firm leadership which is well supported by interpersonal skills