Host Entity: UNDP
Duty Station: Mutare (ZWE)
Language Skills: English, Shona, Sindebele
Start Date: Immediate
Duration: until 31 December 2020
Application Deadline: 17 August 2020
Description of task
The UNV is hired to support Covid-19 safe markets awareness efforts by NGO partners to the UNDP/UNICEF/Government Urban Resilience Building Project under day-to-day guidance of the implementing partner and co-supervision of the UNDP and UNV delegated officials, the UNV Youth Community Awareness Volunteers will support market rehabilitation efforts in one of food markets in Harare, Bulawayo or Mutare as follows:
- Lead in community awareness raising of COVID-19 in food marketplaces in Mbare, Sakubva or Bulawayo markets
- Deliver and facilitate awareness raising, community engagement, and youth participation activities in the local area with a focus on promoting food safety and COVID-19 prevention
- Support wide dissemination of community awareness-raising information, including briefing materials and press releases in coordination with the supervisor;
- Support, plan community level communication activities ensuring community outreach to the public and adequate promotion of the Project as required;
- Support the development of communication/outreach materials such as leaflets, brochures, briefs, posters, calendars, information packs, content management, norms of publishing, design, etc.;
- Assure community-wide dissemination of the information and lessons learned;
- Document the UNV’s experience for UNV Spotlight, and prepare end of year report on volunteer experience;
- Work closely with municipalities, civil society organizations, community-based organizations and governmental agencies to promote project goals and ensure a wide-range communication outreach over various target groups;
- Interact and collaborate with organizations with similar or complementary initiatives;
- Regularly provide photo updates of the project activities;
- Perform other duties as required.
- Minimum Secondary education, Diploma is required
- Individuals with a demonstrated interest in WASH, and or Gender, and or Civil Engineering, and or Food Markets, and or Community mobilization, and or Awareness Raising, and or Youth, Communications are encouraged to apply
- Experience with youth is an asset, as is experience working in the UN or other international development organization;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines;
- Sound security awareness;
- Have affinity with or interest in sustainable development and youth, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
- Shona(Optional), Level – Fluent
- Sindebele(Optional), Level – Fluent
- Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills;
- Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing;
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment;
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Knowledge Sharing, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Self-Management, Working in Teams
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink.
Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 17 August 2020