As a key partner in the Resilience debate in Zimbabwe, UNDP has in partnership with several donors taken the lead in designing the Zimbabwe Resilience Building Fund (ZRBF). The overall objective of the fund is to contribute to increased capacities of communities to protect development gains and achieve improved well-being outcomes in the face of shocks and stresses enabling them to contribute to economic growth of Zimbabwe. This will be achieved through a combination of 3 sets of results which will focus on a) creating a body of evidence for increased application of evidence in policy making and application for resilience; b) setting up a multi donor trust for Resilience Building in Zimbabwe to allow for partners to come together around the Resilience Framework and principles to improve the absorptive, adaptive and transformative capacities of at-risk communities; and c) setting up a risk financing mechanism which will provide appropriate, predictable, coordinated and timely response to risk and shocks from a resilience perspective.
Operating on the principles of joint programming the Zimbabwe Resilience Building Fund aims to provide flexible, coordinated and predictable funding of approximately 75 million USD to support the achievement of increased national resilience to shocks – aligning to nationally owned and determined priorities. By improving coordination among all stakeholders, the Fund can also provide a forum for policy dialogue, and programmatic coordination and harmonization as well as building up a body of evidence for improved joint targeting and programme design. To contribute to the achievement of the above, the Communications Assistant will support the Programme Manager with development and implementation of communication strategies that increase ZRBF visibility to diverse national and global audiences, expanding digital information sharing capacity, and strengthening internal communication systems. The Communications Assistant will support with the creation, production and distribution of digital and print products, the organisation-wide content calendar, marketing and media activities at a global, national and sub-national level. The Communications Assistant will support ZRBF internal information structures by contributing to the design, development and dissemination of high-quality tools and materials, ensuring style and branding compliance, backstopping ZRBF’s media relations and conference participation, and supporting ZRBF’s website and social media platforms. Other tasks, such as written support to proposals for funding projects or yearly reports to existing funders, may be assigned based upon organizational need and/or the individuals own strengths or interest. The Communications Assistant shall promote a client-oriented approach in UNDP.
The Communications Assistant works in close collaboration with the ZRBF Management, Country Office Communications Associate and ZRBF Communication and Visibility consulting company
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensures implementation of communications strategies and procedures, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of communications activities with ZRBF specific and UNDP general rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Offer support to all ZRBF teams in designing and editing materials for a range of audiences and contexts, including research and meeting reports, case studies, briefs, toolkits, peer-reviewed articles, training curricula.
- Support all ZRBF PMU staff with presentation design and critical eye for data visualization communication.
- Liaise with graphic designers and other vendors to develop and produce quality materials.
- Ensure branding and style compliance that represent Communication Policies and guidelines across all materials.
- Offer administrative support in tracking products and materials according to deadlines.
- Support ZRBF’s presence at selected national and global conferences by managing exhibit arrangements, coordinating staff support, and materials.
- Coordinate or lead communication related trainings or events for staff and partners
Ensures efficient communication systems management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identifying, in collaboration with Programme Manager, suitable information to appear on the ZRBF corporate website, intranet and social media as well as gaps in existing content
- Researching, writing, editing and publishing online content that is clear, concise, vivid, and effectively conveys key messages to target audiences. Identify appropriate graphics/images for inclusion with written content. Promoting usefulness, branding and navigability by ensuring that ZRBF diverse online content is kept accurate, relevant and up-to-date;
- Support consortia communication focal persons to understand the corporate brand and priorities so that they are reflected in the content they produce.
- Ensure consistent branding and visual image on the ZRBF website and social media platforms by promoting uniform fonts, formatting, icons, images and layout in line with ZRBF Communications Strategy.
- Development and implementation of an online communications strategy, including liaising with partners, optimizing the website and social media platforms’ content for search engines and directory services.
- Suggestions and implementation of new elements such as audio-visual elements, text elements in a highly creative style.
- Support in creating, editing and posting creative content on ZRBF’s Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn platforms using translated technical content and program updates.
- Design and execute ZRBF’s participation in specific national events in social conversations to amplify ZRBF’s mission and resources.
- Support in repurposing and creating fresh content for monthly eNewsletters and other direct communication.
- Support in maintaining a collection of photos, graphics, icons, infographics, data bites video clips to use in various digital content.
- Regularly monitor website and social media metrics and analyze monthly.
- Expand digital dissemination outlets for information sharing such as websites, webinars, social media, videos, data visualizations, infographics, emails listservs, etc.
Ensures knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Input and update of accurate data and information to facilitate monitoring and evaluation of project activities, and to institutionalize and disseminate knowledge.
- Making contributions in relation to ZRBF monthly, quarterly, biannual reports and other key programme events;
- Use of technology and electronic systems and tools to initiate work, share information with stakeholders. Work with the Programme Manager to develop and implement ZRBF media strategies that advance ZRBF’s visibility and research utilization.
- Lead in the management and updating of an active online platform to increase collaboration of ZRBF stakeholders
- Produce reports on the virtual platforms web analytics and suggest strategies for increasing quantity and quality of user experiences
- Coordinate responses to incoming media inquiries, review of press releases, and relevant news coverage monitoring
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work Level 3: Adapts deliverables to meet client needs
- Ability to persuade others to follow Level 3: Proactively seeks and recognizes contributions of others
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction Level 3: Appropriately involves team in different stages of work and decision-making
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform Level 3: Expresses information and views with adaptive reasoning and appreciation for complexity and variation
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement Level 3: Takes responsibility for addressing critical situations and delivering core value
- Demonstrated ability to understand and present technical information to nontechnical audiences, and a passion to bridge the gap between research and lay audiences.
- Creative problem-solver with an eye for good design; on the cutting edge of emerging media trends and technologies.
- Strong writing and copy-editing skills; ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of political and ethical issues in assigned areas; ability to facilitate relationships between diverse parties.
- Excellent organization and time management skills, including ability to juggle multiple tasks and respond rapidly to new events and competing priorities.
- Detail oriented, self-motivated and comfortable working in a diverse, collaborative team environment.
- Excellence in graphic design software packages such as Adobe suite or Corel, with proven track record or portfolio
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience;
- Actively works towards continuous personal learning
- Acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Marketing, International Relations/Development, or a related field.
- Background in communications, media relations, and/or knowledge management preferred.
- At least 2 years’ experience with web design and publishing.
- Outstanding copywriting and editing skills in English and Shona.
- Previous UN or UNDP work experience will be an added advantage.
Vacancy End Date – 27/02/2020