Agency : UNDP
Title : ZRBF M & E Assistant
Job ID : 31031
Practice Area – Job Family : Environment&Disaster Reduction – RESILIENCE BUILDING
Vacancy End Date : 19/06/2020
Duty Station : Harare, Zimbabwe
Education & Work Experience : C-HS Graduate or Equivalent – 5 year(s) experience
Languages Required : English
Grade : SB3
Vacancy Type : Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type : External
Contract Duration : 1 year
Position only open to nationals of Zimbabwe
As a key partner in the Resilience debate in Zimbabwe, UNDP has in partnership with a number of donors taken the lead in designing the Zimbabwe Resilience Building Fund (ZRBF). The overall objective of the fund will be to contribute to increased capacities of communities to protect development gains and achieve improved well-being outcomes in the face of shocks and stresses enabling them to contribute to economic growth of Zimbabwe. This will be achieved through a combination of 3 sets of results which will focus on a) creating a body of evidence for increased application of evidence in policy making and application for resilience; b) setting up a multi donor trust for Resilience Building in Zimbabwe to allow for partners to come together around the Resilience Framework and principles to improve the absorptive, adaptive and transformative capacities of at-risk communities; and c) setting up a risk financing mechanism which will provide appropriate, predictable, coordinated and timely response to risk and shocks from a resilience perspective.
Operating on the principles of joint programming the Zimbabwe Resilience Building Fund will aim to provide flexible, coordinated and predictable funding of approximately 80 million USD to support the achievement of increased national resilience to shocks – aligning to nationally owned and determined priorities. By improving coordination among all stakeholders, the Fund can also provide a forum for policy dialogue, and programmatic coordination and harmonization as well as building up a body of evidence for improved joint targeting and programme design.
Given the increased need for with evidence-based approaches to strengthen and improve systems related to the analytical and monitoring, evaluation and learning in ZRBF, ZRBF PMU is seeking dynamic and qualified individuals to fill the following position at ZRBF PMU office on one-year renewable contracts.
Under the guidance and supervision of the M & E Officer, the M&E Assistant is responsible for supporting on matters related to evidence generation, analysis and measuring of resilience and performance of the ZRBF project. He/she will assist in the effective management of M&E processes including operationalization of the overall ZRBF’s Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) framework. The incumbent will also assist in reports consolidation and reporting & effective management of the MEL process results. The incumbent will participate in the ZRBF Consortia partners performance monitoring and field monitoring missions for quality assurance, spot check and routine monitoring in the field. He/She will assist in providing M&E technical guidance and support to ZRBF grantees in the development and implementation of monitoring tools, which will include, but not be limited to, data collection, analysis and reporting on ZRBF indicators. He/She will also actively participate on in ZRBF internal surveys, technical review of technical notes and generation of impact stories and results reporting for ZRBF PMU quarterly and annual performance report.
Duties and Responsibilities
Supporting on matters related to evidence generation, analysis and measuring of resilience and performance of the ZRBF project including participating in ZRBF internal surveys, technical review of analytical products and generation of impact stories and results reporting for ZRBF
- Assist in assembling, formatting and integrate datasets into appropriate standards for easy analysis
- Assist in the conduct of project baseline and progress surveys (appropriate sample size and sampling survey methods and data collection procedures, data verification though, periodic site visits, where appropriate provide or facilitate necessary training);
- Participate in data quality assurance exercises and support partners to ensure quality data and reporting inline with ZRBF MEL strategy
Assist in the effective management of M&E processes including operationalization of the ZRBF PMU Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Framework
- Supports planning and implementation of the ZRBF funded projects, focusing on overall MEL framework of the projects;
- Assist in the development of the project MEL plan and its effective and efficient implementation;
- Assists in planning and organizing MEL capacity building workshops/trainings including organizing MEL community of practice meetings
- Ensure that log frame performance and impact indicators are defined and are tracked;
- Develop measurement methods and identify data sources for project performance and impact indicators, in conjunction with respective project component teams;
- Provide quality assurance through the development and implementation of an MEL Operations and Reporting Manual for the project;
- Assist with implementation and updating of a consolidated monthly reporting system and format for project staff, with designated sections for each project component.
- Support the team members and grantees in the development of critical learning events, which will provide the opportunity to examine issues that arise during project implementation.
Participate in the ZRBF Consortia partners performance monitoring and field monitoring missions for quality assurance data collection, spot check, routine monitoring in the field, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Monitor ZRBF’s Grantees project;
- Report on the progress of the development projects;
- Share collected data with M&E Officer and officer for further process.
Assist in reports consolidation and, reporting & effective management of the MEL process results:
- Draft regular M&E project reports and assist in the preparation of project evaluation and/or review reports;
- Provide support to improve monitoring and reporting mechanism through monitoring, evaluation and learning framework, through collaboration with the ZRBF programme management team;
- Drafting of quarterly, annual and other reports required by UNDP and/or development partners;
- Ensure that projects performance data are entered and updated on a timely basis.
- Keep archive of most significant change stories for the annual report;
- Prepare regular progress reports on activities undertaken, results achieved against targets and plan for follow up actions;
- Ensure that lessons learned are fed back into project implementation;
- Assist the ZRBF annual reviews and evaluations.
Provides support in ensuring facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the ZRBF partners focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provide support to improve quarterly and annual report, capturing stories from the field and/or other stakeholder;
- Facilitate capacity building & contribute for development of the knowledge management system;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UNDP values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
- Contributing to results through provision of information;
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to managing data, reporting, technical and administrative services in support of programme activities;
- Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new system, including new IT based system.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Fundamental knowledge of MEL processes, methods and procedures;
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to critical feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills; presentation skills;
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education preferably with specialized certification in monitoring and evaluation.
- University degree in Statistics,Agriculture, Economics, Development studies, social studies would be desirable, but is not a requirement.
- 5 years of relevant administrative or programme experience is required at the national or international level;
Minimum of at three (3) years of work experience in complex development programme planning, design, management, monitoring and evaluation in related field;
- Proven expertise and proficiency with SPSS, Excel, database packages or other appropriate packages.
- Knowledge of GIS will be added advantage;
- Advanced computer skills in Excel, Word processing, SPSS or other statistical packages;
- Good strategic and analytical thinking and ability to interpret development/resilience related data;
- Strong analytical skills and experience in analysing quantitative/qualitative data and surveys in the field of Resilience, Food and Nutrition Security, Livelihoods and DRR is required.
- Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
Deadline: 19 June 2020
Related Jobs (3)
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Officer (Harare) on November 23, 2020 Full Time
National Strategic Information Evaluation (SIE) Officer on October 13, 2020 Full Time